On 18 March 1910 Harry Houdini while visiting Australia made the first controlled, powered flight of an airplane in Australia. He flew in a Voisin bi-plane at Digger’s Rest, Victoria. In case you’re wondering, no, it’s not the famous escape artist Harry Houdini.
However, first powered, controlled flight of an all Australian designed and built aeroplane was by Australian aviation pioneer John Robertson Duigan. It was on 16 July 1910 that he flew a short seven metre flight at his family’s property ‘Spring Plains’ at Mia Mia, near Kyneton, Victoria. It may not have been far, but it was good enough to get into the record books.
Associations and Clubs
Gliding, Hang Gliding
- Gliding Federation of Australia
- Hang Gliding Federation of Australia
- Australian Gliding Records
- Ferries-McDonald Technical Gliding Library
- VIC – Hang Gliding and Paragliding Assoc
- Australian Soaring