10 April - Dr Peter Hollingworth - 3rd Governor-general to resigG

Who is having a birthday in April?
Share Follow

10 April - Dr Peter Hollingworth - 3rd Governor-general to resigG

Unread postby Max ADU » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:33 am

Australian Birthday Today
** Video below - GG resigns.

Dr Peter John Hollingworth AC, OBE
was born on 10 April 1935 at Adelaide, South Australia. Hollingworth is an Australian retired Anglican Archbishop and was the 23rd Governor-General of Australia.

At a early age Hollingworth's family moved to Melbourne Victoria in the early 40's and educated at a state primary schools, then completing his secondary education at the private Scotch College Melbourne.

Hollingworth was conscripted for National Service in 1953 and, after basic training at the RAAF base at Point Cook, he began working in the chaplain's office and felt the calling to the vocation to priesthood.

The Calling to God
Peter was ordained as an Anglican priest
in 1960 where he became deacon-in-charge and promoted to priest-in-charge of St Mary's North Melbourne.

In 1985 was made the Bishop in the Inner City of Melbourne.

In 1989 he was elected the 8th Archbishop of Brisbane, where he continued his advocacy for the poor and underprivileged and supported the ordination of women.

Governor-General of Australia
On 22 April 2001 the Prime Minister,
John Howard, announced that Hollingworth would be appointed Governor-General of Australia and the first Christian cleric to hold this post.

Hollingworth on 29 June 2001, was sworn in as Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia and Commander-in-Chief of the Defence Force.

The pass catches up Hollingworth.
December 2001, Allegations were raised that Hollingworth had failed to deal appropriately with sex abuse allegations made against a church teacher at Toowoomba Preparatory School. while he was the Archbishop of Brisbane,

Damages of $834,800 was paid to the woman who had been found to have been sexually abused.

Third Governor-General to resign
After meeting with Howard on 11 May, Hollingworth stood aside and announcing his resignation of his commission as Governor-General

Hollingworth had become only the third governor-general to resign, after criticisms were aired over his conduct as Archbishop of Brisbane in the 1990s.

Hollingworth stepped down from his positions as the Brisbane Lions' No 1 ticket holder, patron of Barnardos, Kids First Foundation and the National Association for the Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect.

Acknowledgements
  • In 1976 Hollingworth was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE)
  • 1988 he was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia (AO)
  • Australian of the Year for 1991
  • 1997 was included in the inaugural list of Australian Living Treasures
  • 2001 he was awarded the Centenary Medal
  • Appointed a Companion of the Order (AC) on 29 June 2001
Watch on youtube.com
Max ADU
Site Admin

First Name: Max
Location - City or Town: Burpengary
State: QLD

[0sad/banner-forum.htm]

What Is Sporting Activities Wagering?

Unread postby Marcolield » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:28 pm

hey there and thank you for your info - I've certainly picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical issues using this web site, since I experienced to reload the web site a lot of times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will very frequently affect your placement in google and can damage your quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my email and could look out for a lot more of your respective exciting content. Ensure that you update this again soon..
Marcolield

First Name: Marcolield
Location - City or Town: Sside
State: Fiji

Return to April Birthdays