Our Sponsor

18 January - Granville, The day I was proud and ashamed.

Share Follow

18 January - Granville, The day I was proud and ashamed.

Unread postby Max ADU » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:14 pm

Today in Australian History
Tuesday, January 18, 1977.

83 are killed in the Granville railway disaster, Australia's worst train disaster to date.

Granville Disater.jpg

Granville is a suburb of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, situated along the popular Sydney-Blue Mountains line. In the early morning commuter rush of 18 January 1977, the 6:09am train travelling from Mount Victoria in the Blue Mountains to Sydney left the rails and hit a row of supports of the overhead concrete and steel road bridge at Bold Street. The accident occurred around 8:10am.

After the derailed engine car and the first two carriages passed the bridge, the locomotive and first carriage broke free from the other carriages, hitting a power line mast, which tore through the carriage, killing eight passengers.

Carriage two was clear of the bridge when the remaining carriages ground to a halt. The rear two-thirds of carriage three and the forward third of carriage four were under the bridge. With its supports demolished, the bridge and several motor cars crashed down onto carriages three and four, crushing many of the passengers inside.

83 passengers were killed from carriages one, three and four. 213 more passengers were injured.

The train driver and the secondman, and the motorists on the bridge all survived. Many people were trapped in the train for hours after the accident by part of the bridge crushing a limb or torso. Many of these people were conscious and able to talk to rescuers, but died of crush syndrome soon after the crushing weight was removed from their bodies, due to the sudden release of toxins having built up in the limb suddenly overloading the kidneys.

This resulted in a greater awareness of crush syndrome and subsequent changes to rescue procedures for such accidents.

There were many brave men and woman at the scene. With no concern to his or her lives crawled under the bridge rescuing anyone that was trapped in the wreckage.

At the same time, I was disgusted in some Australians.

I was one of many first on the scene. I was asked by one of the state rescuers to return to their rescue truck and help bring back much needed equipment – power grinder, chopsaws welding equipment etc.

On returning to the rescue truck, we had found that some low lives had stolen the much-needed rescue equipment.

The thought ran through my mind
    “how many people’s lives would be lost because stealing rescue tools knowing they would only get a few dollars for them.”

It is a day I will never forget seeing the rescuer putting his head on the truck and crying.

It was a day I was proud to see the courage people there displayed, but at the same time sadden to know some people could scoop so low to steal rescue equipment.

The inquiry into the accident found that the primary cause of the crash was "the very unsatisfactory condition of the permanent way", being the poor fastening of the track, causing the track to spread and allowing the left front wheel of the locomotive to come off the rail.

An Australian telemovie made in 1998, The Day of the Roses, describes the coronial investigation into the incident.

More than two years of intensive research was undertaken to chronicle the historical events that resulted in what was then Australia's worst peace time disaster.

The telemovie described the disaster's real cause several victims, the rescuers, other people who assisted victims, and the ongoing annual ceremony of dropping roses from the current bridge site onto the rail lines

Watch on youtube.com
Max ADU
Site Admin

First Name: Max
Location - City or Town: Burpengary
State: QLD

[0sad/banner-forum.htm]

Re: 18 January - Granville, The day I was proud and ashamed.

Unread postby Max ADU » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:31 pm

update
Max ADU
Site Admin

First Name: Max
Location - City or Town: Burpengary
State: QLD

Return to January Events - 16th to 31st