01 September - Camel shoots man in South Australia

Australian Events for the month of September
Share Follow

01 September - Camel shoots man in South Australia

Unread postby Max ADU » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:53 pm

Today in Australia History
Tuesday, September 1, 1846.

A camel shoots explorer John Horrocks.
John Ainsworth Horrocks, born in Lancashire in 1818, was the first to employ camels as an aid to exploration.

Nine camels were imported from the Canary islands in 1840, but by 1846, only one still survived.

Beast of burden turn on Horrocks
This one, a bad-tempered beast
by the name of Harry, accompanied Horrocks on an expedition north-west of Horrocks' station at Penwortham near Clare, SA.

On 1 September 1846, Horrocks stopped near Lake Dutton to shoot a bird to add to his collection of specimens.

In the letter Horrocks wrote
whilst he awaited help, he recorded the following events:
"My gun being loaded with slugs in one barrel and ball in the other, I stopped the camel to get at the shot belt, which I could not get without his lying down."

The fatal shot
Whilst Mr. Gill was unfastening it, I was screwing the ramrod into the wad over the slugs, standing close alongside of the camel.

At this moment the camel gave a lurch to one side, and caught his pack in the cock of my gun, which discharged the barrel I was unloading.
"The shot took off the middle fingers of my right hand between the second and third joints, and entered my left cheek by my lower jaw, knocking out a row of teeth from my upper jaw."

One of Horrocks' men walked 113 km through the night to obtain help, and Horrocks was then conveyed home.

A doctor was unable to do anything for his injuries, which had become infected, and Horrocks died three weeks later, on September 23.

"Harry" the camel was taken out and shot.
Max ADU
Site Admin

First Name: Max
Location - City or Town: Burpengary
State: QLD

[0sad/banner-forum.htm]

Re: 01 September - Camel shoots man in South Australia

Unread postby Max ADU » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:36 pm

updated
Max ADU
Site Admin

First Name: Max