Our Sponsor

30 August - First Driver's Licence in Australia

Australian Events for the month of August
Share Follow

30 August - First Driver's Licence in Australia

Unread postby Max ADU » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:15 pm

Today in Australian History
Thursday, August 30, 1906.

The first driver’s licence in Australia is issued in South Australia.
The first car in Australia
The first petrol-driven car in Australia is believed to have been developed by Harry A Tarrant in 1897.

Tarrant went on take over the Ford dealer and assembler franchise in Australia in 1909. The automobile industry developed quickly in Australia, as it did in many other countries, with cars edging out horses and carriages on the roads.

With the increased number of automobiles came the need for more rules and controls.

First licensed driver in Australia
South Australia was
the first Australian state to pass a Motor traffic Regulation Act, doing so in 1904.

This was followed by the first driver’s licence in Australia, issued on 30 August 1906. The proud owner was William Hargreaves, who held the position of government analyst and chief inspector of explosives in South Australia.

Trained as a chemist, Hargreaves had an interest in vehicles and fuel sources, and examined the feasibility of alternative fuel sources during World War I and II, even powering his own automobile on a mixture of molasses and petrol as World War I came to a close.

First licensed driver in the world
In 1888, Karl Benz
became the first man, worldwide, to obtain written permission to drive his automobile on public roads after citizens in Mannheim Germany complained about the noise and smell from his vehicle.

In 1903, Prussia became the first European state to make a driver’s licence compulsory, and it was soon followed by other European nations.
Max ADU
Site Admin

First Name: Max
Location - City or Town: Burpengary
State: QLD

[0sad/banner-forum.htm]

Re: 30 August - First Driver's Licence in Australia

Unread postby Brett_09 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:24 pm

Thanks for information. I have been involved in automobile business since long time I had never been such information. Thanks once again.
Brett_09

First Name: Robert
Location - City or Town: USA
State: Clifton

Re: 30 August - First Driver's Licence in Australia

Unread postby Freeman9 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Wow! that's nice. i want to become professional driver and used to read out every reviews on Driving. Soon we are moving to Australia and would be joining Burleigh driving school for Driver Training. Hope everything will go good.
Freeman9

First Name: Bevis
Location - City or Town: Cary
State: Illinois

Return to August Events