27 May - Pauline Hanson "One Nation" changed politics

Who is having a birthday in May?
Share Follow

27 May - Pauline Hanson "One Nation" changed politics

Unread postby Max ADU » Sun May 26, 2013 11:08 pm

Australian Birthday Today
27th May

see video below of what people thought of Pauline Hanson

Pauline Lee Hanson was born 27 May 1954 Brisbane Queensland.

Pauline was an Australian politician and former leader of One Nation, a right-wing political party with a populist, conservative and anti-multiculturalism platform.

In 2006, Hanson was named by The Bulletin as one of the 100 most influential Australians of all time.

Her profile increased dramatically when she gave her maiden parliamentary speech in which she criticised immigration and multiculturalism, government assistance to Aboriginals and political correctness, and called for a return to high-tariff protectionism.

In the beginning
Pauline Hanson joined the Liberal Party of Australia and was endorsed as the Liberal Party's candidate for the House of Representatives electorate of Oxley (based in Ipswich) for the March 1996 Federal election.

Leading up to the election, Hanson advocated the abolition of special government assistance for Aborigines The Liberal party dis-endorsed her.

As the Liberal Party Ballot papers had already been printed listing Hanson as the Liberal candidate and the Australian Electoral Commission had closed nominations for the seat, Hanson was still listed as the Liberal candidate when votes were cast.

Hanson was elected to parliament, defeating Scott with 54% of the two-party vote, a 19.3% swing to the Coalition. As because of Pauline dis-endorsement by the Liberal Party, she entered parliament as an independent.

Maiden speech
10 September 1996, Hanson gave her maiden speech to the House of Representatives, which was widely reported by the media. Hanson positioned herself "not as a polished politician but as a woman who has had her fair share of life's knocks", and with views based on "commonsense, and my experience as a mother of four children, as a sole parent, and as a businesswoman running a fish and chip shop..

I won the seat of Oxley largely on an issue that has resulted in me being called a racist. That issue related to my comment that Aboriginals received more benefits than non-Aboriginals".

Hanson then asserted that "mainstream Australians" were subject to "a type of reverse racism ...”

Lifes up and downs in politics
A poll in The Bulletin magazine at this time suggested that if Hanson formed a political party, it would win eighteen percent of the vote.

Pauline co-founded One Nation in 1997, but lost her seat at the next 1998 election. Subsequently Pauline had made several unsuccessful attempts to be re-elected to both federal and state parliaments in Australia.

In the 1998 Queensland state election, One Nation attracted nearly one-quarter of the vote winning 11 of 89 seats in the Legislative Assembly of Queensland

"Death" video
Due to some hatred towards Pauline In November 1997 under suggestion from Oldfield, recorded a video which was to be screened to One Nation members and supporters in the event of her assassination, following claims that she and her daughter had received anonymous death threats.
The 12-minute tape started off with the following message:
“ Fellow Australians, if you are seeing me now, it means I have been murdered. Do not let my passing distract you for even a moment ”
and then urged that
“ For the sake of our children and our children's children, you must fight on. Do not let my passing distract you for one moment. We must go forward together as Australians. Our country is at stake

Pauline Hanson goes to prison
On 20 August 2003, in a separate and this time criminal case, a jury in the District Court of Queensland convicted Hanson and Ettridge of electoral fraud.

They were sentenced to three years imprisonment for falsely claiming that 500 members of the 'Pauline Hanson Support Movement' were members of the political organisation required, in order to register as a political party and apply for electoral funding.

Because the registration was found to be unlawful, Hanson's receipt of electoral funding worth A$498,637 resulted added two further convictions for dishonestly obtaining property – each with three-year sentences, to run concurrently with the first.

Hanson's initial reaction to the verdict was –
"Rubbish, I'm not guilty. It's a joke."

On 6 November 2003 the Queensland Court of Appeal quashed all of Hanson and Ettridge's convictions. Hanson and Ettridge were immediately released from jail.

Life after politics

In late 2004, Hanson competed in the Australian Reality TV show Dancing with the Stars on the Seven Network.

A number of Australian celebrities compete against one another in ballroom dancing.

Hanson and her partner Salvatore Vecchio made it to the final, advancing due to audience support in SMS voting, but lost to former Home and Away star Bec Cartwright.

Hanson also appeared in the 2011 The Celebrity Apprentice Australia, until the second last challenge where she was fired..

Watch on youtube.com
Max ADU
Site Admin

First Name: Max
Location - City or Town: Burpengary
State: QLD

[0sad/banner-forum.htm]

Return to May Birthdays